The Credit Union's History
The Credit Union was established on February 24, 1936 as District #6 New York State Highway Employees and was located at 30 West Main Street in Hornell. Membership was primarily made up of NYS Department of Transportation employees that worked in Region 6 (Steuben, Allegany, Chemung, Schuyler and Yates Counties). On August 27, 1969, the name was changed to District #6 Federal Credit Union, which it remains today. In the fall of 1986, the Credit Union relocated to the new Henderson-Smith State Office Building that was built located at its current location of 107 Broadway, Hornell, New York. As the Credit Union has grown over the years and membership has expanded, it has moved three times within the now named Charles D. Henderson-William T. Smith State Office Building.